Saturday, July 13, 2013













ONE OF THE GREATEST THINGS ABOUT SLOWING DOWN FOR TWO WEEKS IN PARIS IS HAVING TIME TO LISTEN TO MUSIC. Now that we're back in apartments (rather than hotels) I have myself set-up at the dining room table where I can write, edit photos, and listen at my leisure. Hotels felt more transient than places like this; I tended not to unpack my things completely or settle-in too thoroughly. I locked-up my computer when we left the room and sometimes wouldn't pull it out again. I wouldn't slap on a song or jot a few notes at day's end. I feel so much more myself this week, here. I didn't realize how critical this time was for my own sanity. Just quiet.

I get up an hour before Jeff, so he can stretch out across the bed and I can drink coffee. I meander through a variety of things I'm writing, read terrible celebrity gossip, and listen to music. When Jeff stumbles out of the bedroom, I boil the kettle again and he starts his day. It's what works for us, and somewhere along the way I forgot that.

I've been listening to a lot of the following. Very little is new to me, but Paris doesn't feel like it needs new. It feels like a place for crackly old stuff and melancholy. These are songs I've been dragging around for years.








PLAYLIST
Songs for Paris

  1. A Candle's Fire - Beirut
  2. Paristocrats - Gonzales
  3. Never Poor - Jim Guthrie
  4. Comptine D'Un Autre Ete, L'Apres Midi - Yann Tiersen
  5. Dis, Quand Reviendras-Tu - Martha Wainwright
  6. Ce Charmant Coeur - Julie Doiron
  7. Parlez-Moi D'Amour - Lucienne Boyer
  8. Paris Blue - Lykke Li
  9. Non Je New Regrette Rien - Edith Piaf
10. C'est un male - Fréhel
11. Guilty - Al Bowlly
12. Gogol - Gonzales
13. Ne Me Quitte Pas - Nina Simone
14. Summertime Sadness - Lana Del Ray
15. Rideaux Lunaires - Gonzales
16. Leaving for Paris No. 2 - Rufus Wainwright
17. Dis, quand reviendras-tu - Barbara
18. Si Tu N-Etais Pas La - Fréhel


Download.


(All old stuff from various forays into French music, usually precipitated by a movie or an episode of Sex and the City. I'm not highbrow. Except for track three, which isn't old, from Jim Guthrie's beautiful new album.)



CURRENTLY
LOCATION: Paris, France
DATE AND TIME: Saturday, July 13, 2013 12:00PM Central European Time/Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:00AM EST




2 comments:

  1. Ah Jason, lovely to see you slow down and take a very pleasant looking French breath. One suggestion to add to your music list:
    Je Ne Veut Pas Travailler-Pink Martini
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jason for your touching, insightful blog. I have lived vicariously through your posts for the last several months and learned more about the world and your sweet disposition toward people places and things. I'm so glad the universe chose you at this time for this journey. Abi

    ReplyDelete