Sunday, September 30, 2012




Tequila. (In this case, it's building a liquor freezer, but that's just semantics.)

When talking mixed drinks, I'm not necessarily as fussy about the brand. But tequila's the name of my game when I'm buzzing through Duty Free. Because of our ridiculous liquor taxes, a good bottle can be $100 in Toronto, so saving half that always seems like a good idea every time.

I tend to reach for the reposados or anejos, be it Don Julio or Patron. They're smoother and their colour makes for a lovely margarita. When we're hosting, I tend to start the night right, serving good quality liquor. As the night wears on (and quality is replaced by quantity) I find it's okay to go to a more affordable brand, even Jose Cuervo is invited.

DRINK IT RIGHT

Our dear friend Chris taught me how to make a proper margarita. None of this triple sec bullshit. If you do it right, a margarita should taste like what it is: tequila, agave nectar (which is derived from the same source), lime juice, and salt. It shouldn't taste like other liquors, pineapple juice, lemons or any of the other abominations I've had.

The Classic Margarita

2 oz tequila
¾ oz agave nectar
The juice of one lime
Ice

Add all to a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously and serve in a salt-rimmed rocks glass. None of these oversized Champagne saucers with their tipping over and their clumsiness. (Read: my clumsiness.)

TIP: Rim only half the glass. This allows the drinker to dip in for some salt, but not be inundated by it.





(Image swiped from the Internet. Thank you, Internet.)



1 comment:

  1. Don Julio also works wonders on big toe infections.

    Trust me!

    Found you through Uncle Beefy, and I love your blog.

    -mg

    ReplyDelete