Thursday, September 27, 2012










MUCH LIKE BUILDING THE PERFECT LIQUOR CABINET, there are essentials when it comes to a fall wardrobe. If you're anything like me, you like to keep it lean and simple, just the basics.

Earlier this year I wrote about my WINTER WARDROBE, and the other seasons aren't different, in terms of my approach. I always pretty much rotate through a selection of similar looks I'm comfortable in. I don't spend a lot of money on my wardrobe and every piece needs to be essential and appropriate for all kinds of activity.

Every man needs a CASUAL WHITE OXFORD SHIRT. It can be worn with khakis or jeans, or dressed up for a slighty-more-formal occasion (ie. a Sunday brunch with new friends, a family reunion, a baby shower) with a tie or a sport coat.  

I like an Oxford for a few reasons.

1. THEY'RE CUTE AND PREPPY.

2. The button-down keeps itself ORGANIZED AND NEAT.

3. The fabrication requires less in the way of upkeep. The material is thick enough that you can often get away with never running an iron over it. (TIP: Pull it out of the dryer while it's damp and hang to dry-fully.) And, UNLIKE MORE-FORMAL DRESS SHIRTS, it can hold up to a good ring-around-the-collar bleaching time and time again. 

4. THEY AGE WELL. While your favourite might move down the hierarchy to cottage-shirt or grocery-store-shirt, Oxfords don't expire the way a lot of button-downs do. LIKE A GOOD PAIR OF JEANS THEY JUST GET WORN-IN AND SOFT. A decent Oxford is such good value: you'll get a hundred wears out of it.

5. AND EVERYBODY LOOKS GOOD IN ONE.





(The Matty Oxford, Club Monaco, $64.50)



2 comments:

  1. I have way too many shirts that have gone to " grocery-store-shirt" status. Glad I'm not alone on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...does this apply for women too?

    ReplyDelete