Wednesday, February 15, 2012




So often, when you work in an artistic field, you need to create work for yourself. Not only to make a living, but to stay inspired and connected to why you want to do it. This is something I need to remind myself of a lot. I hope to do more creative work this year, put myself out there to collaborate with others and just keep my head in it. My friend Paul (a designer, screen printer and all-around creative brain) is trying to do the same, giving himself projects in his basement workshop. Soon, right here, you'll see some of his handiwork.

Heather Buchanan, an artist out of Alberta, has directed herself to paint A Portrait a Day, and puts it perfectly here: 

I love painting.
But I paint slowly, sloppily, sloth-like. 
I want to learn to leave brushstrokes, to paint with a sense of immediacy, to quash my tendency to overwork my paintings. 
If you want to be talented at something, you’ve got to work hard and put in the hours of practice. So I’m documenting this to see just how much better I can get by painting one portrait a day for a year.

I'm very honoured to be part of this project and salute Heather for setting this goal and committing to invest in her own creativity. Please check out the ones she's completed so far, and keep an eye on her progress this year. 





ON CREATIVITY AND INSPIRATION:
No Doubt (January 13, 2012)
More Inspiration (May 30, 2010)
White Culture (April 11, 2008)

ONE MORE THING:Tweet about this on a fairly regular basis, but have never mentioned it here. Elizabeth Gilbert (of Eat, Pray, Love fame) gave a TEDTalk a while back on the subject of creativity. It's a fascinating watch, and I highly recommend taking a few minutes with it.


6 comments:

  1. So, so great. And such a worthwhile endeavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing. I completely agree with her!
    And thanks for the reminder - that Elizabeth Gilbert talk is quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Effing WOW. What fabulous, beautiful and restrained work!! I know what she means about "overworking" a painting. Sometimes it's really hard to put down that damn brush. But, every stroke in these works has action and power. I'm so impressed! If she's looking for a volunteer subject, I'm IN.

    ReplyDelete