Saturday, October 1, 2011










After my last post, I got a Tweet from Nathan saying thanks, particularly for including the Antony and the Johnsons track "My Lord, My Love" in the mix.  (For those that follow closely, I include Antony on almost all of my quieter/moodier playlists). I was shocked to hear this was the first he'd heard of Antony and promised him a crash course in one of my favourite artists.  

I've written about Antony Hegarty and his band many times, most recently when their newest album, Swanlights (2010) was released a year ago.  I've told you that he's not for everyone and I've gushed, noting that his is as close to sacred music as I get. I first heard his eery and magical voice while watching the movie The Event, many years ago.  His song "I Fell In Love With a Dead Boy" struck me and stuck with me, and a few years later his second album (Mercury Prize-winning I Am a Bird Now) would come around and change music, for me, forever.    


(If you ever get a chance to see him live, please don't miss it. Photo from his website.)


The Quintessential Antony and the Johnsons

  1. Mysteries of Love
  2. Epilepsy is Dancing
  3. I Fell in Love With a Dead Boy
  4. The Horror Has Gone
  5. Aeon
  6. Ghost
  7. Deeper Than Love
  8. Paddy's Gone
  9. Another World
10. The Spirit Was Gone
11. Hope There's Someone
12. Dust and Water
13. The Lake
14. Fistful of Love
15. Rapture


Bonus Download.  (Two of Antony's greatest covers.  Just trust me and click to download.)



(As you might imagine, it's very hard to reduce a near-perfect catalogue of music into a handful of "essentials", so if you enjoy, please snag everything you can get your hands on.  You won't be disappointed.  Related post: The Quintessential Fiona Apple.)  


3 comments:

  1. awesome, jason.
    i've been listening to it all morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antony is a rare genius. I remember when he came to Trinity St Pauls' Church in Toronto and people were craning their necks and twisting in their seats just to look at him, to see him perform, not just hear him. He covered Whitney Houston's 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody' in that slow sad moan... like I said, genius.

    ReplyDelete