Monday, September 19, 2011










It seems like just yesterday I was in New York shooting pictures.  And here I am again.  I could get used to this.

This time, my friend and e-lebrity blogger, Ryan Marshall (Pacing the Panic Room) invited me to join him.  He's been working on a film project documenting famed hair-guru Guido Palau and asked if I wanted to come and take stills.  Did I?  Yes.

And so I shook a few trees at home to see if I could drum up some gigs to offset the cost of working with Ryan on this passion project.  The Bay came through and, aside from shooting backstage at a few shows (including the final show of the week, Marc Jacobs) I shot A Day in the Life of Nicholas Mellamphy, who is the Creative Director of The Room.  This was an amazing opportunity to get a real behind-the-scenes look at the shows and the process of visiting designer showrooms to purchase the clothes that, moments earlier, stomped down the runway.  It was really, really spectacular.  At one point I said to Nicholas, "Can you believe this is your job?  Because I can't believe taking pictures of you doing yours is mine."

I mean, really.  None of this is lost on me.  

And while you'll see shots from that project soon, for now we'll focus on Fashion Week: Backstage.  


There's something about your name on a list and a pass around your neck that makes you feel like a real superstar.  Total access to the whole joint.  Backstage, front of house, wardrobe, makeup.  Even runway rehearsals.  All of it.  Pretty neat.  When I arrived on Tuesday morning I dashed from the airport straight to our first show at one of the giant studios on the Hudson River.  Ryan was already in full-swing and I dove right in.  We buzzed around, snapping away, him focused on his beautiful videography and I on still photos which he'll incorporate.  It was super fun.

(Oh, did I mention that he and I had never met in real life?  Like most bloggers will understand, we certainly felt like we knew each other, and we fell into a really easy rapport, instantly.  He's everything he seems on his blog: sweet and kind and straightforward.  No bullshit.  I adore him.  And if you're wondering: Yes.  There is a weird, unspoken pressure to impress or be just as they thought you might be (or, at the very least, not disappoint) and it doesn't reallllly go away.  Because you realize, even in a surprising cocoon of comfort and familiarity, that there are parts of you that might come as a complete surprise.  So, in a way, it's like a very bizarre first date.  But I'm pretty sure we'll keep seeing each other.

(And for even more images, check out Ryan's post about our backstage adventures at NYFW.  Here!)

















































11 comments:

  1. mmm i love all the black and white creamy beauty. and how cool that you and Ryan got to meet and creatively shebang. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. looooove the shot of the model just below palau doing hair in the mirror. not sure who it is, but i like the capture of the side-ways glance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love Ryan's work and now I love your's too. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible! I want that many fake eyelashes and hairpins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo buddy.
    Beautiful shots of beautifully freaky looking girls.
    Makes me want to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JasoN! These look amazing. So glad to see you going places...especially NYFW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this series so much! It's all about beautiful eyes and details like the japanese book, the hairpins, the false eyelashes..

    ReplyDelete