Spring in this town has gotten off to a remarkably slow start. I realize people outside of Canada think we're knee-deep in snow more often than not, but that's really, truly not the case. By this time of year we see ivy-covered bricks and the canopy of trees begins to close over our sidewalks, just like yours. We typically get a few scant weeks of moderate weather before sinking into a soupy haze of humidity until the end of September. You see, between April and October, we enjoy quite nice weather in these parts.
Not so, this year.
But while our grass is sodden and bright green with all the rain April offered, we still await the full-promise of May flowers. Temperatures fluctuate wildly, teasing us with sunshine in tiny doses, and while it stays light late, there's been a cloak of fog hugging the city many nights.
Patience is a virtue. And so, in the meantime, we must force ourselves into a new season, perhaps by way of the few blooms we've managed to conjur, or a handful of danceable songs with punchy beats. Enjoy.
(Allan Gardens, Toronto, May 2, 2011)
May Spring Come
1. The City - Patrick Wolf
2. So In Love - Jill Scott feat. Antony Hamilton
3. I Can't Go For That - The Bird and the Bee
4. This is My Love - Hercules and Love Affair
5. Ce Jeu - Yelle
6. May Seem Macabre - Peter, Bjorn and John
7. Sadness is a Blessing - Lykke Li
8. In the Summertime - The Rural Alberta Advantage
9. For the Summer - Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs
10. Right as Rain - Adele
11. Summer Days - Phoenix
12. Maneater - The Bird and the Bee
13. Sunshine - Roisin Murphy
14. Dear Mr. President - Fitz and the Tantrums
15. The Time of My Life - Patrick Wolf