Sunday, April 17, 2011








I'm not big on Asian flavours.  Peanut sauce, green curry. I don't like as much as sesame seeds on my bagel.  So, aside from the fact that Asian cuisine is nuanced and tricky (unlike the rural Canadian farm food I prefer to cook) I've never thought to go down the stir fry path.  

After making those delicious quinoa patties the other day, I got to thinking about what I could do with the big bag of grain in my cupboard.  It made me think of the food we order from our local Thai place.  Maybe quinoa instead of rice?  That might be tasty.  And so I tossed some fresh salmon, cut into one-inch pieces, with soya sauce and a bit of maple syrup.  I pan-fried a slew of chopped vegetables, just a little.  Asparagus, white onion, snow peas, some bell peppers, shiitaki mushrooms.  I cooked the quinoa and stirred the crisp vegetables in, lining a bowl, topping with the fish, all sweet and salty in their 20-minute marinade.  I served alongside some roasted asparagus.  Healthy, fresh, filling.  Certainly not as involved as any real Asian food, but tasty, nonetheless.  






9 comments:

  1. PLEASE BE MY PERSONAL CHEF OMG THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so good! i think i will make a variation of it tomorrow night.
    (ps: so glad you told me about your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks amazing, as always. do you ever cook a crappy meal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how thin your asparagus stalks are. Ours are much thicker.
    Also, the salmon just looks scrumptious.
    You're doing a good job for someone who doesn't want to run a food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty meal. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My eyes just watered (its form of salivation). I hope you don't me stealing every recipe you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we just got back home and I miss home cooked meals (been eating out for 3 weeks). And I miss vegetables (why don't they serve veggies in restaurants??). This might be the first thing I make tonight. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so good. I am going to make this tonight!

    ReplyDelete