Monday, March 14, 2011








Tomorrow is a big day: I'm having all four wisdom teeth removed.  This should've been done 10-or-more years ago, but, alas, I'm kind of an idiot like that.

I'm anxious about the surgery, never having been put under before.  I've never actually been much of a "patient" of any kind, not as much as a need for stitches.  I suppose I was a particularly cautious boy, never participating in activities which could be considered dangerous.  I wasn't one to jump or skip or even ride a bike, for fear of scuffing my knees.  

So it's with quite a bit of apprehension that I will lay down my head tonight.    

This afternoon we hit the grocery store to pad the pantry with yogurt and popsicles and other such chewless foods.  I thought it might be a good day to stockpile some chili, too, easily reheated and mashed between gums for the days ahead.

Mine includes onions and garlic, ground turkey, strained tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, a whack of spices (cumin, chili powder, Mexican spices, cayenne pepper and, naturally, a slew of beans.  Red and white kidney, chick peas, black and lima beans.  I also toss a healthy cup-or-so of dark chocolate (this time a peppery Lindt.)  The chocolate adds a mildly-sweet richness and works to thicken the chili, too.  A good grate of translucent parmesan, and dinner's on.

Wish me luck tomorrow. 








17 comments:

  1. Aww don't worry too much! Being put under is the best because you don't have to deal with it. Then you wake up and have an excuse to laze about for a few days--on drugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck tomorrow!
    (PS I bet your chili is delicious!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to what Juli said. Good luck, J. Your mouth will be roomy and pain free in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you recover fast! U will do just fine, do not worry too much:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had all mine pulled at once. The pain killers prescribed afterward were awesome! Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! Dentist stuff stresses me out - fortunately, I'm evolved and never had wisdom teeth. I'll be sending good teeth vibes your way, friend.

    P.S. Please tweet while you're all doped up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dentist is a nightmare in my mind - I somehow managed to have 9 cavities recently. Yikes! Good luck with your teeth - the chili looks devine. I am going to have to try chocolate in mine next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck buddy! try to record everything you say while drugged up for a future blog post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck today, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you feel okay by now. Maybe even better on all the drugs.
    Not eating for a few days has its perks: weight loss (although it might not sound appealing now.).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had my four (impacted) wisdom teeth taken out when I was 13. Vomited everywhere, wondered if the swelling and bruising would ever go away (it did). I was at the dentist recently and lo and behold it turns out I have a fifth wisdom tooth. Freak or genius - you decide. Ask them if you can bring home the teeth in a jar - if they don't get too mangled. Very cool. You'll be ok - free drugs!! xol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh. I hope everything went well. My wisdom teeth surgery was HORRID! Way worse than the other more serious surgeries I've endured. I do, however, LOVE being put under. I hope you enjoyed that. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I'm so behind, but I hope it went well. Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh! Darling! I hope you are well into recovery. Had the exact same situation when I was 20. Truthfully? Not pleaseant. But it became a distant memory quickly. I do remember the feeling of floating over the sofa that the Tylenol 3 lovingly provided...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your chili :) Hoping you are feeling well after the surgery and are ready and willing to party with us Saturday eve!!! xoxox L

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad the dentist thing went well. also, glad to know we aren't the only ones who put chocolate or good cocoa in our chili. my friends think i'm nuts. ironically, they love my chili.

    ReplyDelete