Monday, March 7, 2011



There's a new kid on the block: Instagram.  Heard of it?  It's like Twitter for visual learners.  You take a photo, maybe you add a filter, perhaps a bit of commentary, and you post.  You have followers and you follow others.  Your pictures and those of the people you like feed onto your iPhone.  You can "like" each other's photos and comment on them.  Pretty basic stuff. 

Here's the thing: it's neat.  The hacky filters are silly, but it's no secret you're using them, and there's no shame in doing so. And they do make garden-variety iPhone photos look better, or at least more interesting.  Where Twitter allows you to say what you might not blog full-length on, Instagram does for images or places you visit or the hot dog you eat on the street. For the times you want to show a single picture of something beautiful or ridiculous, rather than get out your camera and do a whole thing about it.  And the app takes the pressure off, putting the focus on content and composition, rather than quality.

I'm not sure how I'm selling it here, but I'm into it.  So get the free app and follow me: theserovingeyes.











5 comments:

  1. You know, I've been hearing a lot about this instagram lately - so this post was helpful. Enough info in small easy to process bits. Sweet.

    Too bad I'm no longer using my iPhone since India is just around the corner...I so woulda had this app...perhaps I'll bring my iPhone to India.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you kids and your tech-savviness. Your pictures don't need any help. They are awesome enough on their own, but I guess having another way to display them is not a terrible thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some Instagram! Nice pics, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might love these pictures most of all. Especially the last two snow ones. Swoon.
    I'm obsessed with what we shoot with low fi cameras....

    ReplyDelete