Friday, March 4, 2011




A serious grey area.  Somewhere between Winter and Spring.  And it rained today.  Foggy, misty, ice cold rain.  I suppose it means we're on our way to nicer days, but it kinda hurt my feelings.  Already knee-deep in blue, Mother Nature coulda thrown me a bone, no?

Foodstuffs that fix my mood?  Earthy pesto.  Hot peppers.  Mild sausages. Bitter rapini.  Olive oil.  Tossed with orecchiette and topped with silky, fresh-grated parmesan.   

Shared with a friend, it's an instant boost.  (Full disclosure: White wine helps, too.)







(And, the thing about pasta: There are always leftovers to pick at all night long and into tomorrow.)

7 comments:

  1. really, really good photos here, Jason. and yeah, I made gnocchi the other day and could happily live on it until this grey is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots as always. very Gourmet magazine.(waaaaaaaaa, I miss gourmet)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how crisp and clean your pictures look.
    What is rapini similar to? I come from the country of pork, cabbage and potatoes - we have no fancy winter greens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks pals.

    Annika, rapini (also known as broccoli rabe and many other names) is common in Southern Italy. It's bitter and sort of like broccoli, but leafy and more tender. You can eat it, leaves and all. Sautéed with garlic, steamed, or chopped fine like I did and tossed quickly in the pan with the sausage. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect, as per usual. The spoon is my favorite part, though. (No disrespect to the foodstuffs.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos. Comme toujours.
    I missed Ask Jeff! Boo.
    I wanted to know: is there an aspect of Jason's personality which does not at all come through in his blog writing? Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this seriously looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete