Monday, March 28, 2011









I like my baked goods like I like my men: Mostly sweet, but a little salty too.  

These are a great balance and the right consistency: crispy at their edges and chewy in the middle.  Lots of butter, buckets of sugar, and a jarring whack of salt make these a favourite.  The original recipe was copy/pasted into a folder on my computer years ago, so I'm not sure where it came from, but it's been modified each time I make them.  I seem to recall they had twice as much baking soda in their first incarnation, which was interesting.  It made them the slightest bit bitter.  If you think you'd like, double-up on that.  

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have 60 cookies to eat.







Sweet 'n Salty Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon salt
2 sticks of butter, softened
1 1/2 cups of packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup of white sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups of chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 325° and line baking sheets with parchment.  Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

2. Cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla.  Add the flour mixture all at once and blend until the dough forms.  Fold in the chocolate chips. 

3. Drop small bits of dough onto the sheet using spoons.  In order to get lots of cookies, I used only a tablespoon of dough for each.  Bake until the edges are golden brown and the centre is barely set.  Call it 12 - 15 minutes.  Let cool slightly on the sheet and transfer to a cooling rack. 

Yield: 5 dozen smallish cookies.

9 comments:

  1. They look and sound so good. Wish I had one now to go with my espresso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that first picture... my favorite three things to smash together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to try this recipe, Jason. My friend does some food blogging, I'll pass it on to her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I just tried these out last night, and they rocked my world. I've been on a quest for a go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe, and this is the one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete