Wednesday, December 1, 2010












So, it's December 1.  While I bask in the warm sun of the Bahamas, I'm thinking of this day, the official start of the holidays, for me.  Today is the day lights and garlands, heavy-handed pops of red and green, and Christmas music become acceptable. Before today they felt premature and silly.  But now it's time to revel in the tackiness and beauty of the season.  

Not surprisingly, a collection of Christmas songs from me is melancholy, kind of sad, but also joyful.  These songs should move you through an early-evening dinner into a full-blown cocktail soirĂ©e if kept in this order.  Enjoy.   I can't begin to thank you for the last many months.  I'm so grateful for each and every click into my little part of the internet; your comments mean so much.

I wish you all the merriest of holiday seasons




PLAYLIST
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

  1. Winter Song - Sarah Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson
  2. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Tori Amos
  3. Baby, It's Cold Outside - Chris Colfer & Darren Criss
  4. Jingle Bells - Sufjan Stevens 
  5. Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep) - Bing Crosby & Rosemary Clooney
  6. Winter Birds - Ray LaMontagne
  7. The Christmas Waltz - Peggy Lee
  8. I'll Be Home for Christmas - Frank Sinatra
  9. That Was the Worst Christmas Ever - Sufjan Stevens
10. River - Aimee Mann
11. Peace - Norah Jones
12. Silver Bells - Rosemary Clooney & Bing Crosby
13. Joy to the World - Sufjan Stevens
14. White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes
15. Happy Holidays - Peggy Lee
16. White Christmas - Mahalia Jackson
17. Jingle Bells - Les Paul
18. Merry Christmas Baby - B.B. King
19. What Are You Doing New Years Eve? (Mangini vs. Pallin Mix) - Ella Fitzgerald
20. I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm (Yesking Remix) - Billie Holiday
21. Chilly Winds (Fink Remix) - Nina Simone
22. Zat You, Santa Claus? (The Heavy Remix) - Louis Armstrong
23. Silent Night (Brazilian Girls Remix) - Dinah Washington
24. I am Blessed (Wax Tailor Mix) - Nina Simone
25. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Judy Garland


(Photos from 2006, Christmas at the cottage on the ultra-cranky Georgian Bay.)

27 comments:

  1. Oh! This is lovely! I think I nearly wore out "Winter Song" last year... isn't it beautiful? I'm excited to listen to the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... Sufjan is my all-time favorite Christmas go-to. Wonderful picks all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jason!! Looking forward to hearing what you put together! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you thank you Jason!
    once I realized it was December today, I was craving holiday songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been in need of some holiday music so can't wait to hear all these songs! Thanks for sharing with us and I hope you enjoy every minute of the holiday season. I am jealosu of the Bahamas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm normally a grinch when it comes to Christmas music . . . I love the season but have always been annoyed with the tunes. UNTIL NOW, MY FRIEND! My mom will forever be greatful that you've helped change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have fun in the bahamas! i'm so jealous!! also, thank you for the christmas mix. i'm going to force myself into the christmas spirit. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back at you! I hope you have a blast in the Bahamas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These will be a nice change from the ones on "Galaxie" Rogers Chanel 710 which seem to only have 25 holiday songs that they constantly replay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! Although, I am incensed that Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (the Home Alone version) is not on this. There's going to be trouble if there isn't a follow up mix with that included.

    Also, lurve the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this playlist and all the others. I've been meaning to comment on them and I'm sorry I haven't. Can't wait to listen to this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for all your playlists! Just today I was going through my play lists, realizing I had like 3 Christmas related songs! You saved me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're welcome, all! Enjoy!

    Ali - "Sister Winter" was on November Songs! http://theserovingeyes.blogspot.com/2010/11/ive-been-digging-through-photos-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my god. How did I miss that one?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jason, I grabbed this the second I saw it contains the holiday song of the moment, "Baby, It's Cold Outside" but I have to say that's become the simple cherry on top of a wonderful compilation. From the beautiful pain of "Winter Song" through "River" and on to the Tori Amos cover of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", I'm hooked.

    But the real gift -- for me, anyway -- is the inclusion of my favorite rendition ever of my favorite Christmas song ever: "The Christmas Waltz" by Miss Peggy Lee.

    Can't thank you enough. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is way better than EasyRock 104.9... though I do have a soft spot for "6 white boomers!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great soundtrack for these chilly days. Love the way the playlist ends with some old christmas soul. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks! This is perfect for tonight. All our snow melted the other day though. Can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE YOUR PLAYLISTS X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks everybody!
    More to come, to get us through the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for this great mix. It has been our soundtrack at work for the past couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would really love to do a similar thing for my friends.. can you tell me how you created the link to download your zip file? I'd be forever indebted to you :) My email is: jenakris@gmail.com

    Thank you Thank you Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How did you know I wanted this for Christmas?!?

    Leigha

    ReplyDelete
  24. the best christmas present ever...i can't stop listening to the nina simone chilly winds track...

    ReplyDelete
  25. And I've been stuck with 98.1 all this time... Amazing! I can drive my coworkers nuts for the next 2 weeks :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  26. "Not surprisingly, a collection of Christmas songs from me is melancholy, kind of sad, but also joyful." I very much remember thinking...and "THIS is why I like this guy. It's so WEIRD to remember this stuff vividly...all before ever KNOWING you.

    ReplyDelete