Wednesday, September 29, 2010







There are few places that make my heart skip a beat at the mere thought.  Maybe it's too much Sex & the City or a latent broadway fantasy, but there's really something about New York.  Its grid pattern, satisfying in its arithmetical tidiness, its yellow cabs and endless walkability.  Late-afternoon light playing on the old brickwork, deep shadows at street-level, reaching way up to a bright winter sky above.  It's a city where every angle seems set-dressed, ready for its closeup.

And the Park.  I mean, really.  Almost eight hundred acres preserved forever.  It's like Narnia with its nooks and crannies, its scary bits and its majesty, a fear of getting lost in it quickly assuaged by a desire to be just that.






(January 2006, NYC)


8 comments:

  1. Let's meet up in NYC sometime, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES.
    But Chicago is next on our list of city-trips. Never been and it's Toronto's sister city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to go. These shots are epic, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought for a second you were here. Then I read "vault".

    You described the city all too well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great images; you evoked many, many memories of many, many trips to New York. Something about the light in those shots captures a kind of melancholy; they seem to conjure up the combination of hope and disappointment that are part of any big-city dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first photo blows me away. I've never been to NY but these make me want to hop on a plane right now.

    ReplyDelete