Saturday, August 14, 2010









This weekend we're hosting a smattering of lady-friends (and Nick) at the cottage to celebrate the upcoming wedding of Hannah.   She'll marry (the gorgeous) Brady in September, and this is a bachelorette party, our style.  Natasha's incredible dinner menu (five decadent tastings - with wine - ranging from Grilled Curry Coconut Shrimp to  Beef Tenderloin a la Caprese) and Anna, the traveling aesthetician (Lakeside pedicures?  Hells yes!)  

But more on all that another day.


Today I was in charge of breakfast.  I don't remember where I got this idea (maybe the LCBO's Food & Drink?) but it's been lingering in my long term memory for a while.  Are you ready?  Because it's epic.

First (I did it last night) bake large potatoes, one for each guest.  Leave them overnight to cool.  In the morning, slice the tops off and, using a melon baller, scoop out the insides.  Place those in an oiled pan and season for hash browns (I used fresh thyme and rosemary, grainy mustard, S+P).  Back to the potato skins.  

Line the bottom of the skin with thinly sliced aged cheddar.  Crack an egg into the potato, gently, so the yolk remains intact.  Sprinkle some cooked bacon, dill, salt and pepper onto the egg.  Finally, sprinkle with a mixture of panko crumbs and parmesan cheese.  Put them back in the oven (375° for about 30 minutes) until the whites are fluffy and the yolks are semi-hard.  You'll have to eyeball it.

The potato skin gets double-baked and crispy while the egg is light and fluffy.  Add a dollop of crème fraiche and some freshly chopped chives.  I served with bacon, toast and the hash browns, as well as a dead-simple green salad with balsamic/maple mustard dressing.  

Holy shit.  










29 comments:

  1. I'm sending this to Donna (my mother). Potatoes are an Irish food group, so another way to make it is always welcomed. GENIUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You so didn't do that. I don't believe it. Son of a biscuit maker. Makes me want to divorce my husband and be a bachelorette all over again. BTW - you know how there is the "Hot and Spicy Festival" at Harbourfront? Well, I'm launching the "Bland and Comforting" Festival - mashed potatoes and grilled cheese for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH EM GEE. They look beautiful. I bet they tasted even better than they look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jason. You have outdone yourself once again. I don't know how that continues to be possible. (She's a knockout, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum city!! Where do you get crème fraiche in Toronto? I have looked for this on several occasions and never found. or do you make it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @robyn, you can get crème fraiche at the Alex Farm cheese shop in the St. Lawrence Market.
    this all looks so amazing as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm obsessed with this. I'm going to try it out for dinner tonight but with sweet potatoes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a lovely brunch!!! Lucky bachelorette (and friends)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg i used to make something just like this when i was at summer camp!! except it was much less graceful than yours... we would hallow out a potato, add some american cheese, crack in an egg, wrap the whole thing in foil and then throw it in the campfire!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everybody!
    Kathleen over at Jeremy & Kathleen tried this too. Take a looksee!

    Robyn - We bought it at Scheffler's Deli in the SLM. Liberté brand, like the yogurt.

    Molly! That's an amazing idea. You'd have to wrap it pretty tight so the egg doesn't go everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy SHIT those look yummmmmdaddy. I think I might have to ignore my allergies to try this out. I may be in bed for the rest of the day, but these look like they'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I come to Canada, can I please visit you at your cottage? That would be super fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for sickness and/or death caused by my brilliant concoctions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not going to DIE. I've only been to the ER once because of my food allergies. Not bad, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Gosh!! Oh my Gosh...How wonderful!!
    In my best sing songy voice...and trust me it is better to see it in type then to actually hear it....."Love It!!"
    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. i honestly just gasped out loud. as if i'd won something. clutched my hand to my chest and realized i was holding my breath.
    well played.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, now I am officially jealous. Those potato skins with egg in them are unbelievable. Photography gorgeous as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you very much for leaving a comment on the blog today. It was such a lovely surprise. The whole family is in love with eggtatoes and are asking for more soon. Love your blog, photography, words, stories, life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not lying when I say I'm a really bad cook. I try really hard and I end up embarrassing myself frequently, but I tried this and snuck some fresh spinach leaves on the bottom. People actually thought I knew what I was doing. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My pleasure, Lenarts. Thank you so much for the shout-out!

    Rolerkite - YAY! Good work! Spinach: good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm sorry, but i never thought a potato could be so gorgeous! bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMFG! usually I don't resort to ridiculous abbrevs but - will you please host my bachelorette party? (when/if that transpires)

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG, so beautiful! I love the fresh flowers mixed in!!
    xo
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I ran across a link you left at What Katie Ate. What a great idea to bake eggs inside a potato! I'll have to try this, I make baked eggs often. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just stumbled upon your blog. Oh goodness nothing but amazing photos and brilliant posts. I think I will attempt to make the potato breakfast boats for my hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Are you kidding me with those breakfast potatoes? Damn.

    ReplyDelete