Thursday, August 19, 2010



Sarah Harmer recently released her fifth studio album.  Oh Little Fire doesn't stray far from what we know, but that's a good thing.  I've been trying to write this review for some time now, but I find it difficult.  She's not splashy.  There's nothing, really, to grab hold of and sell.  She's not Katy Perry.  After years and years in the business, she'll still play a quiet little show at a tiny dive, or hop on stage and play guitar with one of her buddies, so perfectly down-to-earth.  Ultra-Canadian.  

So the real pleasure of her music is in the tiniest details: the subtle harmonies, a barely-audible accelerando or a thumpy bridge that seems ill-fitting at first, until you listen on headphones and realize the thump was there all along.

Harmer has perfected the two-and-a-half-minute city mouse/country mouse balancing act, her reverence for both worlds clear and beautiful.  A favourite track, "The City" bounces along, as much about the love she describes as the city itself.  It feels like one of those quintessential Toronto-songs, though I'm not sure it is.  But it conjures images of houses and streets and places I know so well.  It feels like those post-college years of wandering at night time, a little tipsy, through alleys and shortcuts in the Annex, maybe sharing a joint with a friend, free-wheeling and soaked in reminiscence.  "The city's got its stake in us," she sings, "it's keeping receipts of our hello's and our hi's."  

I can't think of much more than this to say, strangely, because each of her albums is the same: perfect and thoughtful and full of charm and heart.  Every year when I bake Christmas cookies, I tuck my iPod into my apron and hum along to every song she's ever recorded.  




5 comments:

  1. Geeze. I need to give her a listen. You have excellent taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comments. There is a way that her music blends into the day. There is a sense of peace and a bit of nostalgia that tugs at feelings.

    I have that same feeling reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Anonymous, what a beautiful compliment. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sarah as well. It is one of her older tunes, but Basement Apartment is still one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can describe music like the best of 'em...

    ReplyDelete