Friday, August 27, 2010








I promised myself it wouldn't happen.  But it did.  We moved into our apartment a year-and-a-half ago and I vowed not to fall into that rut of putting everything in its place and then not moving anything ever.  I unpacked, set-up, fussed for a day or two, and that was that.  

But with only 613sqft, it's hard to make a lot of changes, short of painting or blowing a hole in something.  I mean, even changing the furniture arrangement is impossible.  Everything fits in here one way only.

When I was a kid I moved my bedroom furniture around monthly.  It made me feel alive to wake up facing  another direction. I would always do it by myself, no help needed, moving each piece a quarter inch at a time, shimmying around the 12X12 room, sometimes ducking under the bed or climbing over the dresser to get to the other side.  I'd finish up, run the vacuum across the 10 square feet of visible carpet, and proudly throw the door open, showing it off like a real estate agent: "And Mom, you'll see here along the south wall I've placed this shelf I repurposed from the family room; doesn't it showcase my pen collection beautifully?"


So, recently I got a hankering for change.  With the weather shifting, it seemed a good time for a little nesting. We've had this blank wall just inside the apartment.  The plan was to hang a large-scale giclĂ©e print of this image, a favourite from our trip to Cuba.  But, you know, that was probably never going to happen.  For now, a bit of a photo wall.  

In our old house I hung my photos everywhere.  We had the space, and they looked quite lovely all over the place.  I restrained myself a bit here in the apartment.  But no longer!  I chose a few from over the years and clustered them (each 16X20, so fairly large) on the empty wall.  It certainly gives the eye something to land on, and is more balanced with the other parts of the room.  The stark emptiness always bothered me.  I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it, but now that there are holes in the wall, there they will stay.  











15 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Is that your granny? She's sweet.

    p.s. I'm still in love with your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome. I too changed my room around all the time when I as a kid and I still do it to this day. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great! Much better than the bare wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful. I am due for a furniture rearrange. Maybe this weekend. My roommate moved out, so I feel the need to change things up, try a new energy in my living room and bedroom. This also means that I have her room to convert into a guest room/office. Can't wait! When I was a kid I used to rearrange our living room and rec room. It drove my mother MAD! She would come home from work and things would be completely different than when she left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. last time I was over was the first time I ever noticed there was nothing on that wall. i didn't mind it bare but I love those photos...well hung!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just wondering how many times I have to say "Etsy shop" before it sticks.

    Oh, and this post especially reminds me of Augusten Burroughs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if i had great photos i'd hang them too!

    framing is quite an expense though....

    love love love!!!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to see this side of the condo..I look all of your photography. I feel like a photographer is expected to have photos everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, friends!
    Matt, welcome back, I thought I'd lost you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like how they relate to each other, and well-hung indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That wall is so sickeningly perfect. Any tips on getting your paint lines so straight and clean?

    Alex and I bought that condo in Montreal. We've been furniture shopping the last few days. Decorating in a space that you actually like is exciting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Mina! Can't wait to see progress on your new place!

    The painters we hired taped-out (with a level) the stripes on the wall. It was tedious work, certainly, and the kind I'm no good at. (No patience!) But yes, lots of measuring, leveling, taping is required. Then you paint a high-gloss urethane on every other stripe (a couple coats) and that's that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photos on the wall! My wife and I are ending our three and a half year relationship, and I will be moving from our home to a 611 sq ft loft apartment. I love to decorate and move things around, but as you said, it appears that things can only fit one way. :-( Oh well, it's only for a short time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where did you purchase that fabulous ottoman? Thx! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. The story about moving your bedroom furniture around made me laugh. I did the same thing. God, I loved the reveal.

    ReplyDelete