Friday, July 23, 2010


Sherms and I thought it might be a good idea to do another shoot for his lookbook; in terms of branding and marketing, one model, ipso facto, becomes a spokesmodel.  And unless you've got Claudia Schiffer on the payroll, that might not be the wisest plan-of-action.

(Perhaps I should take a minute to explain what a lookbook is.  And I'm not being condescending here, I got schooled via episodes of MTV's The City, so don't read this as haughty.)  Designers put together a catalogue, of sorts, to sell their wares to potential buyers (ie. Bergdorf, Sak's, Holt Renfrew) and to alert the general fashion industry of a new line.  Typically quite condensed, they're a glimpse into the overall aesthetic of the designer.

We spent a quick couple of hours wandering around the extremely photogenic University of Toronto campus yesterday - Some of our city's oldest and most beautiful architecture.  The overcast skies provided perfect lighting and just the right amount of panic as we hurried to beat the rain.

And did I mention Jesse?  

He's almost impossibly good looking, a David Beckhamish look with tattoos and close-cropped hair.  He has that sparkle only a professional model can conjure, making my job incredibly embarrassingly easy.

Below is a mere snapshot (pun intended) of the shoot.  Sherman and I have the very enviable job of going through almost 6000 images between the two shoots, narrowing-down and trying to encapsulate his entire vision in just a few choices.  

I'm not sure whose life I'm living right now, but I'll take it.


















27 comments:

  1. he has really great lips. i would like to kiss them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, the bow ties are super cute. so distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally in love...with the baby blue bow tie...ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these shots are amazing!
    And i love his outfit! I love the shirt he is wearing, I am going to show it to my husband and tell him to sport that!
    And of course, I always love bowties!
    your shots are amazing. they look straight out of a magazine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody.
    We're pretty pleased!

    Taylor, T.J., have you recovered?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Great photos! You are talented.

    I think I have found an inspiration for my new haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lo Los loves the look of the lookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these photos are fantastic. great work jason!

    ReplyDelete
  9. totally forgot to look at the ties...those eyes, whoa! going back for seconds now

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's a sweetie for sure! My fave shot is the one walking away from the ivy covered building. Nice work, J.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, yes...smoldering and all that. But could he tie his own tie?

    ReplyDelete
  12. you already know I love these. but wanted to say it again. so, so, good. fantastic collaboration between subject and photographer, it all looks effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. as always nice pics.... get a cruiser bike in the shots..that will make it look hot... i know its a about the bowtie... but to create the lifestyle and feel.....a great vintage leather bag/briefcase/sling or tote..makes it feel very urban americana.....

    Luvs!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everybody!
    Tara, that's a lovely compliment.

    Matt, we thought about it. But then didn't.
    Dead simple was the goal. Let those pretty eyes do all the accessorizing. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not only are your pictures amazingly gorgeous (but, ALL of your pictures are ALWAYS just plain stunning) but I'm totally enticed to purchase exactly 1. raggedy bow-tie in English flag-esque materials. It's the most attractive piece of men's clothing I've seen in a while.
    Well done, sir.

    love, rudi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Rudi!
    You're adorable and I want to take pictures of you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are FANTASTIC. I heart them so very much. The bow ties AND the pictures, of course!

    Thank you so much for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really nice photos. Dont give too much credit to him. The camera work is pretty tops.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Esther!
    Thanks Tim. That's nice of you to say.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've already posted a comment but just wanted to say that this photo was sooo inspirational to me that I buzzed my head. That is the sign Jason you are good at what you do-you've convinced your audience to act through a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That beautiful architecture of which you speak-my Great Grandfather, Henry Sproatt, was the genius architect who designed and built Hart House. Crazy, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photographs.. Love the simplicity.. Everything about each photo works so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You should be doing photos of with his two brothers too! The three of them together are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I definitely read this one. I think we're getting into "when I started reading before I actually knew you" territory...

    ReplyDelete