Thursday, July 29, 2010









Okay, so maybe I might be tipsy-blogging here (a phrase originating from the lovely Kathleen at Jeremy & Kathleen) but I couldn't wait.  So beware, I might sound a bit nonchalant.  Oh, and vegetarians, shut yer holes, this is a meat post.  

I made my first burgers tonight.  I mean, from scratch.  One pound ground bison, salt-and-peppered.  I added a couple tablespoons of maple syrup and a palm full of parmesan cheese.  Mince a big shallot and toss it in there.  A tablespoon of grainy mustard, an egg, and half-cup of breadcrumbs.  Get your hands dirty and mash it all up.  Form into patties (balls just-smaller than a pool ball, and smush flatish) and refrigerate for a while.  An hour?  

Oh, a secret (via this dude on the internet): Poke a half-teaspoon of butter into the centre of each patty.  It keeps the burger ultra-moist and super-fatty.

Preheat your oven to 400°.  Heat a pan with a dash of olive oil and sear the shit outta those burgers.  Just a couple of minutes on each side.  Toss them in the hot oven to cook through.  Hm, about 10 minutes.  

I served them on raisin and walnut ciabatta bread.  Holy Jesus.  Sweet and savory faceoff.  Heirloom tomatoes, sliced red onion, various mustards, chipotle-spiced ketchup, and some mildly-stinky oka cheese from Quebec.  A side of green beans and roasted fingerling potatoes.  

Add in SYTYCD, Jersey Shore, Nick, Natasha, and T.J. (and several bottles of wine ie. Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, 2009) and it turns out to be the most-perfect Thursday ever.





(It should be said, I'm not entirely pleased with these photos.  Tipsy-photography.)

14 comments:

  1. I hate you skinny people talking about poking butter into everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could you be a vegetarian with meat that looks this good!! My SYTYCD evening was not near as delicious, YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. want. that's all that needs to be said.

    (okay, i can also say that i have a crush on tipsy posting jason.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a vegetarian I can totally appreciate that burger. And tipsy blogging. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am certainly NOT opposed to, ummm, nonchalant blog posts by you. :) This was great and sort of an upper after a decidedly downer round of judging on Project Runway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip about the butter! Pair your food with Jersey Shore... now thats one heck of an evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, 2009. Excellent choice my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh p'shaw. Your photos are fantastic as is your tipsy blogging. I especially like the term 'smush flattish.'

    Adding butter is an excellent idea. Things are so much better when they're moist and fatty. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That tomato really pops! Whose brilliant idea was that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. as a drunk vegetarian i can still appreciate

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love to cook a steak that way! HUN-GRRR-YY

    and I'm so glad you watch SYTYCD! I reference it a little too much and NO ONE ever knows what I'm talking about! (Roberts my favorite)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not because I think the quality of the photos is any less than your other posts but I was dying to know if you took tipsy-photography too!

    These sound (and look!) absolutely delish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never thought I'd see the phrases "Jersey Shore" and "sauvignon blanc" in the same sentence. Amazing.

    My favourite method of moistening meat involves feta cheese - I like to mix fine cubs with sliced kalamata olives for something decidedly Greek-style. With homemade tzatziki, naturally...

    ReplyDelete