Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sag Harbor Dreams


We got these lamps at an antique shop in small-town-Ontario last weekend.  $25 for the pair!  They're  big (probably 14 inches at their widest) and tall too.  They appear hand-sculpted, an imperfect pair, with the greatest thick sheen over their bright cobalt glaze.  I can't wait to strap on the shade below (white with a jute detail) from Pottery Barn ($40, on sale!) I think they'll lend the perfect Hamptons-meets-Muskoka mood to our bunkie.  And the finials!  I can't decide, but love them both.  The rope-detail seems more elegant and classy, while the birds-on-a-branch are whimsical and fun.  (Remember my monkey finials?  Still love them.)

What do you think?

10 comments:

  1. For the bunkie ? I vote for birds on branches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birds as its a cabin so no need to be formal. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. darn it. i can't decide.
    i like the rope - hints at sailing.the birds - the outdoors...both are fitting for your cottage.

    hm, i think i'll be the one person to go away from the birds and say rope. something about it. still whimsical but also, as you said, something elegant about it.

    either way they're both awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rope finial speaks to the jute nicely. They also feel more substantial, in league with the bases. I love the birdies but I feel they're too delicate in comparison to the weight of the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well-said, Kay* and Sylvie - I might find a third option. I'm not convinced either way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great finds!! I'm sort of learning toward the rope because of the nautical element. You really can't go wrong, though, Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back when I was working on the marble lamps, I was hooked on the idea of cloissone finials - perhaps I'll reignite that search. Birds or some kind of regionally-appropriate animal.

    Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Er, cloisonné . iPhone, sometimes you don't get me.

    ReplyDelete