Monday, June 28, 2010


In the interest of G20-escapism, we headed to the cottage this weekend, despite a sociopathic weather forecast.  No rain or clouds or teenage-temperatures could keep us in the city during (what would turn out to be) a chaotic and unruly mess.  And right at our front door!  We arrived back downtown this morning to find every business at the major intersection where we live boarded up after a 2000-strong crowd went bananas and smashed it up.  Now, I'm all for expressing one's civil liberties, participating in peaceful protest, etc. but needless vandalism is outrageous.  How the hell do these people expect me to get my Americano if Starbucks has no windows?!

Anyway.

Although dreary, the cottage was relaxing and quiet.  Just us two, we ate a couple nice meals and got some chores done around the house.  I've been busy and without the cottage for a couple of weeks, so hadn't yet seen our new railings --






The old ones were a) ugly and b) extremely unsafe for children and drunks, so they had to go!  For a mere $5000 (ugh!) we had custom glass railings installed, which make the entire deck a giant playpen for the kids, without infringing on the beautiful views. 

I was surprised to discover just how dramatically the new railings changed the overall aesthetic of our house.  A friend described the shift as "less Muskoka, more California", and I must agree.  When the morning fog rolls over the lake it feels like you're in northern California, the evergreen trees and rocky coast changing their tune a little, reading decidedly west coast.

And I like it.

17 comments:

  1. oy. Glad to hear you escaped the chaos of Toronto. And to such a beautiful place - I love your cottage!

    I checked out the before of your railings and the new ones look fantastic. Very cottage chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine!
    And thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing!! I wanna visit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea. Have you ever thought of renting your cottage out to...I don't know...a Tennessean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, how can i get my americano if starbucks has no windows....

    you, sir, crack me up.

    (and of course the new railings looks fantastic)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos - really atmospheric - I can imagine myself right there at the cottage, listening to the rain, drinking tea. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone!
    royalapothic, you and Tommy should plan for the same weekend. Haha.

    kay*, for some reason making you laugh is really satisfying. Haha.

    Thanks, Jo - Replace the tea with coffee and you have our mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any space for a UK friend, too? I'll bring cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new railings - amazing what a difference they made. And a bonus the deck is now safe for drunks and toddlers alike. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky to have a cottage to escape to! Especially if you live where the protestors were destroying our city. And yes, why do they have to hate starbucks?
    Your cottage is beautiful! Those old railings are really very northern ontario! I never understood them!
    These new ones look so chic! It does change the look of the entire cottage! I have been looking at metal railing options all over the city! (and taking pictures of them to remember!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

    Celine, wasn't it shameful what those jerks did to our city? Watching YouTube videos made me so angry and sad. I mean, it wasn't about protesting anything, it was exploiting an opportunity to act like assholes. Seeing a police car on fire in our streets was just awful.

    Yeah, the old railings were cheap. I guess that's why people put them up. They get the job done?

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I thought that Canadians were a peaceful sort.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that you make cottage remodel decisions based on protecting drunk people. It makes this lush feel much safer. :)

    I've never understood messing up one's own neighborhood, regardless of how angry you are. I grew up in Los Angeles and even as a 9 year old I didn't understand the LA riots. Why do people destroy their own neighborhoods?

    Also, please stop drinking Starbucks. I'm sure there is a lovely independently owned coffee shop where you could find a delicious Americano.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Taylor, you're getting sassy with me. I like that.

    I used to work at Starbucks.
    I support their consistency and good customer service.

    But I also spend a lot of money at the independently-owned espresso bar in the lobby of my concert hall. So suck on that, TK! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chic, chic, chic railings. Thanks for the price info - stopped my lusting real quick. Expanding our second story (storey?) deck and glass railings were on my wish list. Alas, no more. Sniff.

    Enjoy your deck - it really looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just clicked on the before pic link. Yikes! A disaster waiting to happen. So glad you now have the peace of mind that comes from a safe deck for all. Just thinking of those little cherubs you call niece and nephew nearing the old railings... Ack!

    ReplyDelete