Sunday, June 20, 2010

Oh, Father


Two recent Dad-stories.

I.
Last weekend Jeff and I sat on my parents' deck, eating BBQ, chit-chatting about nothing-in-particular.  Seemingly out of nowhere, my Dad asked, "Am I the same Dad as when you were a kid?  Do I look the same?"

"No," I said.  "You don't.  You're softer.  Nicer.  Less drunk.  Less mean.  Your hair is greyer and you're just less intense.  I mean, but, yeah, you sort of look the same.  Older, obviously. But I just like you more now."  He laughed a little, taking it in, accepting the retro-critique.

II.
Today, on the phone, we got to reminiscing about our weekend camping trips.  He recalled my sister and I singing at the top of our lungs in our tent-trailer, not a care in the world about who might hear us, surrounded there in the woods by dozens of other families.  He remembered saying to my Mom, "I wish they would keep it down!"  And today, anxious to go back, he recanted "It was silly.  I wish I had just let you sing your hearts out."

And that's good enough for me.  It sort of obliterates history and replaces it with something softer, something nicer.  It's so easy to love him nowadays, the older I get, the more I come to realize.


(My Dad, 1960.  A pretty queer picture, if you ask me.)

8 comments:

  1. Jason, this is such a great post. Choked up a little. Perfect end to father's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. You really are a wonderful writer Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How gorgeous!
    I know what you mean about the softness that comes with age. I think about it often in relation to my own children. I think when you are little things appear bigger, harder, tougher, and just generally more magnified than when you are an adult. There are no filters for little ones.

    Am new to your blog. Loving it.

    x Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotta, sincerely - thanks for writing. What a thoughtful response.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, your father proves to be a rich source of inspiration. A brief and beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such sweet stories to share. So simple but they say so much about parents and children and the act of parenting. Perspective, growing up, validation, reflection...the list could go on and on...

    ReplyDelete