Friday, May 28, 2010


In Canada we have a holiday called Victoria Day - It celebrates the birthday of Queen Victoria, but, over time has morphed into a BBQing, lake-dipping, sunset-booze-cruising-with-cheeseplate kickoff to summer.  The further north you get, the shorter this precious season is, so our May 2-4 (two-four, like a case of beer.  The shame!) is a pretty serious national institution.

Naturally this long weekend comes with high weather expectations, and this year was one for the record books. Sunny and 30°C meant we could actually go in the lake, spread ourselves out on the dock to get a little sun, and sleep comfortably, that nagging chill gone from the air.






But it wasn't all fun, games and fig compote.

We had plans to upgrade the dreary grey on the doors and shutters to a bright cobalt blue, something nautical and masculine.  Then I looked around.  Everything in sight is either blue or green - I figured Mother Nature had given us enough of those colours, so it struck me: red!

Now, let me be clear: I'm no red fan.  Accent walls and atrocious middle-American dens with chunky leather sofas, no thanks.  But I can get behind something with enough orange in it.  We hit up a Rona store en route to the cottage and snagged a gallon of latex enamel in Cheyenne Red (a shade similar to the Canadian flag) and two lovely Muskoka slammers (as they're known).  The original plan was to get a pretty classic wooden door - You know the type: spindly and ornate, a large oval cut out of its midsection.  Then I saw the "Prairie" design and knew it was perfect.  Clean lines, a little Craftsman, and more suited to our 50s-era cottage.  And for $89, it was a no-brainer.  

I'm thrilled with the results.  Now our cottage has a personality, the one with the red doors.  
















18 comments:

  1. wow, what an amazing spot (i'm sure you have been told this many-a-times)
    and you have a super sexy speed boat!
    i'm feeling the desperate need for some wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, so this is pretty darn cool, Jason! Love the red frames, the boat, the gorgeous scenery. Wouldn't mind an olive, too, if that's allowed?! Have a fab weekend. Will

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh....sooooooo jealous. a cottage is something i've recently added to my 'want list' and yours is perfect. and the red? fantastic. so patriotic too! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, pals!
    I've had a lot of trouble returning to reality this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nicely thought out. Plus, I love the nod to your mother land. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks 3 T's.
    Tanya, Thomas, Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so jealous of your pretty location - Canadian shield, trees, dock. I'd be afraid to head out in a canoe where we are, because I'd probably be blown into the middle of Georgian Bay with no hope of rescue.

    Oh and I like the red choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Juli!
    Our old cottage was on Georgian Bay - I remember the giant oceanic swells and 400 foot depths well. That is one scary-mary body of water!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes! Perfect door and perfect red. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your great place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Suzanne!
    I've been missing your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Canada looks amazing! So does the red doors! Enjoy your summer there! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jason, your life is like a dream. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that it matches the Kayak. Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks ladies!
    As we pulled up in the boat this weekend, I had sorta forgotten about the paint and it was such a nice surprise! Exactly as welcoming as I hoped it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm running an hour late, and I have finding your absolutely wonderful and funny and beautiful and yaddayaddayadda blog to blame! I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha!
    Thanks, Daniel! How nice!

    ReplyDelete