Sunday, May 30, 2010

More Inspiration


So, I've been obsessing over images of rural and coastal homes, compiling and laying them out to describe, visually, what I dream of our cottage turning into someday.  In mood, style and energy.  

Somehow I stumbled upon The New Victorian Ruralist, a blog assembled by the owners of an antique shop (Finderskeepers Market) in Kentucky.  It's not dissimilar to myleshenryblog, but with a decidedly old world slant.  While I described Myles' blog as masculine and ultra-American, Randy and James over at Ruralist seem drawn to darker and naturally-older interiors more common in Europe.  That said, I still seem drawn to the light and bright images on their site, though this time with more colour.  Watery, calming, soothing tones of blue and green.  Lots of white.  Tactile and aged.  Comforting.  


















(All images from The New Victorian Ruralist.)

15 comments:

  1. Swoon-worthy. (That "Hi" and "Bye" art is hardly comforting, though. Give any kid Winnie-the-Pooh nightmares for a month, easy.) Have you seen this month's issue of Style at Home? Lots of white and "rural/cottage" spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loves it.
    Have you guys gone down to St. Jacob's to scour the salvage shops ? I'm sure you'd find some amazing things at Artefacts.
    Actually, it's antique flea market season ! We should go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne: I think the "hibye" is adorable! But it was the background that really grabbed me.

    Kathy: Have not done the St. Jacob's thing.
    There are a couple giant salvage places on the way to our cottage. I think we'll stop there one day soon, as a start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason, your blog gets better and better with every post. I dream of spaces like these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thanks Will!
    Not sure if I should take that as a compliment, though, since I've been posting OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF lately! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, well either way, you know a stylish space when you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm digging this whole aesthetic. The silverware in the glass jars and the clocks are my favorites here.

    Plus, did you know that Kentucky is quite close to Tennessee?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jason -I second Will's assessment. Although, I've always been wildly enamored by your writing style and subject choices. Absolutely stellar photos, and arranged so beautifully. Thanks for sharing!

    post script: Nice to see a post sans the mention of meat ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Scott!
    Oh, I forgot to mention - Upon seeing that reindeer above, I grilled up Rudolph and he was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your collection of images. I really really really want a new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this whole post!!! Can you imagine doing the cottage up like this!!! We'd never leave.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the inspiration! The cabin is going to be even more amazing than it already looks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hell of a post. that kitchen with the ladder is so good, also i love the clocks. thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Melissa - I could only hope!
    And Myles - Any time. You know I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are such great shots, with so much inspiration - thanks for sharing

    (especially like the feathers!)

    ReplyDelete