Thursday, January 14, 2010

On Natural Light


With a busy weekend of shows ahead, I'm taking today off.  There's nothing quite like a mid-week day off, when most of the city is at work, and you can putter about: no crowds, no hustle, the day all your own.

And there's something about daylight.

This time of year, in this part of the world, the sun rises and falls faster than a Hollywood ingenue.  The days are remarkably short, only a brief moment of light in the morning, when you're least able to appreciate it, coffee not yet coarsing through your veins, before shuttering yourself away at work all day.  And then the commute home, always in the pitch.  Barely a chance to absorb a little Vitamin D, let alone look and enjoy the things that surround.  No time for light bulbs to take a rest.  No time for shadows to crawl across your carpet.



















(Did you spot the CN Tower?)


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. I really love the first photo-the view of your condo. Everything has it's place. Love how the curtains reach the ceiling-the mix of dark and light. It is all very inspiring to me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Thomas - what a nice compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the sun rises and falls faster than a Hollywood ingenue" - amazing. Trust to you come up with another superb simile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is your place? it's gorgeous!

    p.s. we're loving your comments on our blog, they make us laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mina!
    Yes it is. There's lots of photos of it on here. But those are recent-est.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason, have I told you lately how much I love you? I am again reminded of why Jessica also loves you! Lovely writing but I must comment, once again on your use of light. This "natural light" of which you speak is gorgeous in a milk chocolate, latte kind of way. Very warm and comforting in contrast to the cold blue light you might expect in a "winter shot".
    Cheers!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne!
    Thank you.
    I love seeing your name pop up in my inbox. Your comments are always so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. How did I miss this. This set is awesome. I esp. love 4 and 5. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Tim!
    I wasn't fishing for compliments, but I do appreciate. There's something special about this kind of light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep looking and relooking at these pictures. There's something really, really peaceful about them.

    ReplyDelete