Wednesday, January 13, 2010

On the Cheaps


After a series of tasty (and pricey) meals, it was time to have one on a budget.  So, how about Lemon Garlic Chicken.

Place two drumsticks and two chicken thighs in a bowl and squeeze the juice of three lemons (including the rind) atop.  Add a diced shallot, a tablespoon of fresh minced ginger, ten cloves of garlic, finely chopped, and two tablespoons of fresh thyme.  Freshly ground salt and pepper.  Toss to coat and dump the whole mess into a baking pan.  Bake for 35 - 45 minutes, basting regularly, until the chicken is nicely browned and cooked-through.  I served with yellow string beans and mashed purple potatoes chock-full of chives and fresh dill.












The wine: 2008 Pinot Grigio, Ogio.  As good as its price: $8.85.  But crisp and cold and suitable.  I guess.

5 comments:

  1. definitely gonna try this - actually, i plan on trying all of the recent recipes.

    & i must admit i feel like i'm missing out by drinking juice with my dinner...even if i do sometimes drink it out of a wine glass. think i'll grab a bottle or two of wine as per your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, it might be cover for alcoholism, but I just don't think a meal is complete without wine.

    No wine? Might as well eat it off a paper plate, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason -You kids have quite a view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I love shallots this time of the year. Been putting them in everything. Haven't made purple mashed potatoes for a while. Thanks for reminding me. Sometimes I like to mix Yukon Golds with either red beets or carrots for a colorful mash.

    I will make the chicken recipe tomorrow, merci!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple. Rustic. Gorgeous. The colours in your meals are always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete