Monday, January 26, 2009

Google Reader: An Act Against Aesthetics


I had a conversation with my friend Chad yesterday. He told me he follows literally hundreds of blogs and they all feed into his Google Reader each day for his perusal. I told him that every blog I read, I read as it was intended: from the comfort and personalized-beauty of its God given URL. I hate the idea that people only see my blog via Google Reader.

I spend a lot of time laying this mother out. I change my header on a fairly regular basis, almost always coordinating it with my most recent entry. I painstakingly edit photos and their placement on the screen. I, for one, think the way a blog looks informs the content. Like a magazine, the colour and the images, the overall aesthetic, requires that its seen in all its glory.

Anyway.
Please vote above, I am extremely curious to know if all my hard work is going completely unnoticed!

PS: I've become a Tweeter. Twitterer?

10 comments:

  1. i don't even think i know how to view something in a reader if i wanted to. seriously. i view blogs via their url. i agree with you. the layout and photos all paly a part of my overall enjoyment.

    my vote in as via url :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vito (Manila, Philippines)January 26, 2009 at 7:17 PM

    Hi there,

    I read your blog via Google Reader, but I just had to open the actual page because of this entry.

    The starkness of Google Reader's interface can get really tiring after spending 30 minutes or so browsing the new entries in the feed. Most of the blogs I follow are design-related (or are written by people with a good sense of aesthetics), but I never really paid attention to their layouts.

    And you're right, reading the actual blog does become a more enriching experience. For example, the patterned background and brown palette of your layout makes the photos in the entries more sigh-inducing.

    Sadly, I can't remember how your page looked like when I first saw it last year. This is the only time I've visited it again since adding it to my reading list. And this is the first time I've posted a comment here. Fact is, I've never even posted a comment in any of the blogs that I follow -- another bad habit acquired from being too Google Reader-dependent.

    But you'll be glad to know that I'm going to start checking each blog from now on. It's going to be a bit tedious, but I think it'll be worth those few extra mouse clicks.

    Thanks for writing this entry. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, Vito!
    I feel so vindicated! Haha.

    Thanks for reading all this time. I was always wondering who was logging time all the way in the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so I just subscribed to these roving eyes via Google reader...
    your blog in its original state is way pretty compared to what reader does to it.
    i will continue to use its god-given url.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't evolved enough technologically to know how to consolidate all my blogs into one mother master blog.

    Twitter = casafroggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am on twitter now-->kthomastaylor

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's too late, but I rely on the URL.. and I appreciate every subtle font change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stumbled on to your blog--and yes, reading it via url is the way to go. Google Reader just makes blog reading feel so...stark. Blech!

    Your blog is beautiful and lovely. And I will absolutely continue to visit.

    with love from Pittsburgh...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We talked about this once on your first trip to NYC. Because of you I never read blogs on Google reader now :) True story. Also your start on the Twitter! Crazy! Ha.

    ReplyDelete