Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sweet High Hopes: The Best of 2009


I eagerly await the follow-up to one of 2006's (and perhaps all-time) greatest albums. Fox Confessor Brings the Flood firmly put Neko Case on the map and secured her a place in the canon of Great American Songwriters. Hers are perfect for snowy days, an auditory fireplace or a shot of whiskey. She's a roughed-up Aimee Mann, her songs literary and dark, brief odes to various characters in utterly visual locales. You can hear every breath on the record, no editing, recorded live rather than clipped together like so many do nowadays. She hands out gorgeous, sweeping moments sparingly, rarely does she beat a dead chorus, every song leaving you wanting more.

Download "At Last", a perfect minute and a half you can listen to 1000 times on repeat.

And March 3, 2009 will bring us Middle Cyclone. Start preparing now.


3 comments:

  1. I never listened to Fox Confessor Brings the Flood before today. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, Fox Confessor is one of my favorites of all time as well. A coworker brought on that revelation a few months ago and I've been hooked ever since.

    "And if death should smell my breathing
    As it pass beneath my window
    Let it lead me trembling, trembling
    I own every bell that tolls me"


    So haunting, and so beautiful. A Widow's Toast is another favorite, in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS, Jory: That's the one quote I use to describe this album. Seriously, we're on the same wavelength.

    ReplyDelete