Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Ending on a Sweet Note


So, I lit a fire under my ass last night and did some last-minute baking. A perennial favourite is the oatmeal applesauce cookie with maple drizzle. I found it years ago in the Martha Stewart Cookie Magazine and have made at least 8 dozen every year since. Incredibly, they've retained their deliciousness!

There are several factors that make a recipe a good one, for me. First, of course, the taste of the item. These cookies are chewy and sweet with an apple pie meets oatmeal cookie thing happening. Second, I love a high-yield recipe. This one will make about 4 dozen good-sized sweets. Third, and perhaps most importantly, I like a recipe that is easy. This one is ridiculously simple. No need for a mixer, no wrapping in cling wrap and pre-freezing, no slicing, no finicky business. They take all of 10 minutes to prepare and even less to bake. Easy-breezy!


Apple Oats and Maple Cookies

For the cookie:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups of Quaker oats
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup golden raisins

For the icing:

1 3/4 cups icing sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons water

1) Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Mix the melted butter and sugars until combined. Add the egg and the applesauce. Mix until well-blended. Don't be too precious about it. Mix in the oats, flour, baking soda, powder and salt. Toss in the raisins.

2) Drop the dough onto parchment-lined sheets. Like Whitney and Bobby, there should be some space between them. Bake until golden and just-set, about 9 minutes - But you know your oven best. Let them cool on wire racks you've set over wax paper.

3) To make the icing mix all components. Add water as needed to turn the sticky mess into a fluid icing. Pour the mixture into a pastry bag or Ziploc, snip the tip and decorate.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. send one to DC so I can taste.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Like Whitney and Bobby, there should be some space between them."

    Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I DO love you :) This recipe really sounds fab and I am SO making it. Question (if you happen to see my comment): drop what SIZE of dough on the sheets? A tablespoon? I obsess over things like this. Thank you. Really looking forward to tasting these cookies - your descriptions are mouth-watering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne: Whatever size you like!
    I tend to like BIG YIELDS, so I make 'em small. Half a tablespoon? But it doesn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA: "Like Whitney and Bobby, there should be some space between them"

    ReplyDelete