Friday, September 5, 2008

Blogs and Black Bananas


Another blog I frequent daily is Orangette.  It's written by a supercharming girl named Molly in Seattle.  She writes about food, but cleverly buries her recipes and tips into fantastic stories about her life.  

I've been reading for more than a year, but until today hadn't tried any of her recipes.  I'm a sucker for banana bread and the one she wrote about last week paired well with the blackening fruit on my countertop.  

Molly suggests lining your pan with parchment and I couldn't be happier with this tip!  Isn't it cute, all Little House on the Prairie rustic?  I bet a yummy muffin would love to be wrapped in parchment rather than those tacky pastel liners!  You could just put the whole still-warm muffin pan out on the buffet for your next brunch.  Charm-city, USA!  



Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping
(as adapted by Molly of Orangette from Bon App├ętit, September 2008)

For the bread:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
2 large eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup honey
¼ cup water

For topping:
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2½ Tbsp. packed dark brown sugar

Preheat to 350°F.
Spray your 9x5 inch pan lightly and line with parchment.

In a medium bowl whisk together your dry ingredients.  In a larger bowl whisk together the wet.  Mix the dry into the wet.  In a small bowl mix together your topping components.  Pour and scrape the batter into the load pan lined with parchment.  Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter.  Bake until a tester comes out clean.  It took 45 minutes in my oven.  Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before slicing.  

10 comments:

  1. muffin wrappers don't exist in austalia- all baked goods come snuggled in parchment paper. it's so damn cute, don't you think? i'm bringing the trend home to shaw street.

    i also cannot hear the word muffin without thinking of the following:

    "jenna, ghostface killa, and yo-yo ma to the stage for muffintop."

    the. best.

    i will see you so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am a lover of Banana Bread! Now I am feeling sad that I don't have any middle aged ones (or otherwise) on MY counter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made three loaves of this last night for the neighbors. Total score; I think I can do no wrong now, in their eyes.

    SO, so good. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 LOAVES!
    An untested recipe! How bold!

    I made another loaf, and accidentally put in 1/2 cup of honey instead of 1/4. It was moist and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well and how's this for drama -- we ate the whole first loaf, and it was perfect. Gave the second loaf to the neighbor, and then... ate the third one ourselves again.

    But to our horror, the inside was essentially a banana bread pudding. And now I am stricken! What if the load I gave to the neighbors was all gooey, too!? Ohhhh, nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was your pan too small??
    What a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  7. all of her recipes i have tried are awesome. this looks great too. yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love her blog too - though i have yet to try a recipe. i must get around to it soon...or i can just buy her book when it's out and go through the recipes one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this recipe last night and took it to work today, and it was a huge hit! I had to copy the recipe several times for the ladies in the office to snag. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh good! I have four rotting bananas on my counter - Gonna make this soon!

    ReplyDelete