Thursday, May 1, 2008

Baby Mama

Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice. Nicole Kidman in The Hours. Diane Keaton in Baby Boom. Some of my favourite screen performances of the last 25 years. Particularly the latter; Baby Boom (1987) was the story of a J.C. Wiatt (Keaton) a New York executive who had worked her way up the corporate ladder. She'd put everything behind her career, had a starkly designed (and very American Psycho-esque apartment), and a failing common-law marriage. You see, in the 80s it was important to show career-minded women as frosty and critical to show their bosses as powerful men who had to be clambered over. Both accomplished expertly. Then, out of the blue, a baby was left on her doorstep and she was forced to slow down and make applesauce. I'm over-simplifying, but I don't have that kind of time.

It was a lovely movie, lots of laughs. I've seen it dozens of times, those lazy Saturdays in front of TBS or by popping in my VHS copy. Yes, I own a copy of Baby Boom. What of it?

Last Friday, Baby Mama, starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, opened. For me, it's an updated version of a favourite, a Baby Boom for a new generation of high-powered ladies, women of the current child-bearing demographic who aren't too good for fart jokes, aren't above the kind of potty humour Tiny Fey serves warm and with utter integrity. While the movie is far from perfect (or even good?) I'm charmed by this modern-day Carol Burnett/Vicki Lawrence combo who, truly, can do no wrong. Since they paired-up to dish out fake news on SNL's Weekend Update they've become the pinnacle of new-wave lady-comics - Smart, edgy, self-effacing yet disarmingly confident. Revenge of the nerds, or something like it.

Oh, and start watching 30 Rock, would you? We don't need another Arrested Development debacle.


3 comments:

  1. there are some things i will never get over.

    the untimely and inexplicable death of 'arrested development' is one of them.

    it breaks my heart.

    anyone know what happened on 'two and half men' last week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greatest disappointments in my life was when Nick and Natasha admitted to loving Everybody Loves Raymond. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Just before you and Jeff got to Betty's last weekend, John and I were talking about Baby Boom. I made him look up the plot on his iPhone to fill in all my memory gaps. God, I loved that movie...

    ReplyDelete