Friday, February 29, 2008

Where the Wilds Things Are

I don't believe in guilty pleasures. I gave up worrying about that kind of thing when I was 8 years old, prancing around in powder blue, elastic-waist-banded dress pants, obsessing over Judith Light and flipping through my Mom's copy of Women's World Weekly. What can I say? I like what I like.

To that, I give you Lipstick Jungle. Brooke Shields, in all her first-rate-transexual glory, storms back to television as Wendy Healy, a high-powered film studio exec. I don't care how you feel about pharmaceuticals or hating your babies, this lady has gams! Her legs are worth the price of admission, or the cost of your soul, for tuning in. In Episode 4 she dashes around in a silver-sequined mini-dress, young-Hollywood be damned! Never has Lindsay Lohan rocked a quadricep like Brooke Shields.


Based on the book by Candace Bushnell (Sex and the City), Darren Star brings us Carrie-Bradshaw-lite. A ready-for-network version of his racy and groundbreaking series. But times have changed since Sex and the City ended - Then, in 2004, you needed HBO to say things like "skanky bitch whore" at 10:00PM. Not anymore! NBC has charged into the future where it appears almost anything goes during primetime! And thank God, it's unnatural otherwise.

Lipstick Jungle is quick and funny, topical in a way that Sex wasn't, which endeavored to be timeless and watchable into the next millennium. Jungle goes down easy and is shot in the streets of New York - Wait, I mean the nice streets, not the mean streets of NYPD Blue; the Upper West Side and the midtown boutiques and all the glitzy bits! It's cotton candy and it's delicious!

Get over yourself and just watch it.

4 comments:

  1. If you like this one you should check out Cashmere Mafia. I love it! Lucy Lui rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not what I've heard. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a closet addict of this show! Glad I'm not the only one! And Nico's affair-guy is delish! Josie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. to echo chelle, you should watch cashmere mafia - story line and acting aside, there are four leading characters thus more outfit changes..woot

    ReplyDelete