Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dessert for Breakfast

Breakfast, brunch, or a drunken stack of pancakes at Fran's: If it's supposed to be eaten in the morning, I am bound to love it. As a kid, my snack-of-choice was always toast with peanut butter or a bowl of cereal. To this day, I like nothing more than a heaping trough of Cheerios before bed.


It's no secret I love to share a meal with friends and family. The only thing I love more than eating something I've made is watching others eat something I've made. I pay close attention to how the food moves on their plate, how quickly they go for a second bite. I notice if they put salt on it and wonder where I went wrong. And I silently celebrate when they ask for more. Will I make this item again? Will I even save the leftovers?

This morning we had Jeff's family for brunch. A tried-tested-and-true recipe was critical - No surprises where family's involved, am I right? So Egg and Bacon Pie it was. I am a big fan of low-labour, high-impact food. With this you get the initial curiosity of "Egg and bacon what?" and anything involving pastry is a sure-fire-hit. But it's also outrageously simple, especially with a little help from my good friend Tenderflake. The next time you need a basic brunch meal, chock full of the apres-midi staples, try this instead of an omelette or a quiche.

Egg and Bacon Pie

1 frozen pie crust
8 eggs
8 strips of bacon
Various fresh herbs, chopped
Salt, pepper


1) Cook your bacon until it's crispy. Dice it up.

2) Transfer the pre-made pie shell out of the tinfoil plate. Come on! Presentation is everything, and while full disclosure might be nice, no one's got a gun to your head! Let them assume you made it! Sprinkle half the bacon and half the chopped herbs (I used sage, rosemary and thyme today, but have gone with dill and other stronger flavours in the past. The beauty of this recipe is that at it's simplest, its delicious, but you can really play with it - Add vegetables or cheese or a whole different flavour profile with some Worcestershire or hot sauces!)

3) Break your eggs into a small bowl, one at a time, and gently pour them atop the bacon and herbs, careful not to break the yolks. You want the yolks intact so they look nice when you cut into the pie. Don't panic if one breaks! a) There's nothing you can do to fix that, and b) It'll taste just fine! Evenly distribute the eggs all around.

4) Sprinkle the rest of your ingredients on top, and gently cover with your upper crust.

5) Bake at 350° for 35 or 40 minutes, or until the crust is nicely coloured. I tend to serve this with pan-fried mini white potatoes and toast, but a salad would be nice too. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I saw the picture and said, out loud with no one but the cat to hear me, "What's that??!! MMMMMM!". What else can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that sounds easy (my kind of recipe!!) but I'm not sold on the top crust. Necessary? I suppose I could remove it before serving. Might not be as pretty. (I'm not all about pretty to the same extent as you are, but I do need pretty for company!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think the top crust makes it a pie, rather than something more quiche-like. Ya know? But I also love pastry, so the more the merrier.

    ReplyDelete