Thursday, January 17, 2008

Me, If I Were a Chair


That first photo of my living room is slightly deceiving. There is one corner I am truly, madly, deeply in love with. It is where my favourite chair sits ($35, St. Lawrence Market), next to my record player ($99, the 400 Flea Market), atop which you see my vintage camera ($30, Kings' Court Flea Market) and old family photos (Priceless). You'll see a medium-sized tin box, on that ottoman there, that my boyfriend found in Italy. It means the world to me.

When I saw that chair, sitting there in the street, I gasped. It will be too much! I said to myself, already knowing there was NO price too high. But, it's in mint condition! I began to talk myself down, sweat beading on my forehead. I'm a terrible shopper. I want it all. I want it now. Why did I come this way?! On outdoor-antique-market-day?! I asked the man, How much? $40. I nearly fainted there at Jarvis and Front. I got him down to $35, threw it over my back like a knapsack and walked it 5 blocks home. Clean lines. Firm, yet comfortable. Tidy and pragmatic, its wool a bit harsh. Sturdy. A bit gaudy to some, perhaps; a bit too green.

This is the corner I see when I walk in the door. It makes my heart swell. The bargains, the love, the utter green and brownness of it all. My favourite things; welcome home, they say.

3 comments:

  1. jason, how much do I love you! Your blog is so lovingly written! Congrats! Can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas of Wash DCJune 24, 2008 at 12:01 AM

    love your chair...very handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Me as a chair' =

    "Clean lines. Firm, yet comfortable. Tidy and pragmatic, its wool a bit harsh. Sturdy. A bit gaudy to some, perhaps; a bit too green."

    I'm not sure if I agree with the description, but it is beautifully vivid nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete